Guidelines for the Competitive participations
Eligibility Requirements for any entry
1. Participant must be
a. A member of OSA or any of the chapters with a primary residence in USA or Canada.
b. A child of a "voting member" of OSA with a primary residence in USA or Canada.
c. Visitor VISA holders and children of visitor VISA holders are NOT eligible.
2. Participants must be registered for the OSA convention through individual or family registration.
SUBRINA BISWAL AWARD FOR PERFOMING ARTS :
Eligibility Requirements: There will be two groups of participants, Junior(8years to 12 years) and senior(13 years-18 years).
Participant must be
a. A child of a "voting member" of OSA with a primary residence in USA or Canada.
b. Visitor VISA holders and children of visitor VISA holders are NOT eligible.
1. The entries will be accepted strictly on first-come-first-serve basis.
2. Please send video clips of the entire performance of the participant/group.
3. Video clips can either be made available online (Google/ YouTube) and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. The convention cultural team announces the finalists by a certain deadline which is recommended to be 1st March. Time limits will be strictly enforced in this competition in all rounds and any entry that does not meet the time requirements will be disqualified immediately.
Disclaimer: The OSA Convention Cultural Committee will make the final decision regarding the participations and the groups will be notified of their acceptance formally by email. Please do not proceed to final stage of preparation (buying making props, costumes, recording/mixing music) until you are given the final approval by the convention cultural team.
Each participant/group is required to fill out an application online for the award competition. Each participant must be registered for the OSA convention through individual or family registration. Rules and Guidelines:
Categories: All categories of performing arts (Vocal and instrumental music/dance/drama) are eligible except the following: magic, calisthenics, comedy or any other item that does not clearly represent performing arts. Comedy as part of drama or skit is acceptable. All the performances except instrumental music must be in Odia language.
Maximum number of items: Each participant will be allowed one solo and one group Performance maximum. However, no winner can win the same prize (e.g. first, second, third) under the same general category (e.g. song, dance, instrumental etc) in two consecutive years. For group entries, the whole group or selected individuals from the group may be awarded the prize. If the group wins the prize, the prize money will be divided equally among all eligible participants. The same person cannot win through both solo and group participation. In case that happens, the prize will be awarded to the group performance in the interest of more participants and the solo win will be ignored.
Logistics: The date and time will be communicated to participants well in advance.
Award Selection Guidelines: Entries will be evaluated for their talent in technique, performance creativity, overall value and age-performance relationship. Five judges will be selected from the attendees by the event chair in consultation with OSA Vice-president/Award Steering Committee Coordinator and host chapter organizer(s). The judges must have knowledge on performing arts. US IRS rules prohibit close relatives of participants from being selected as judges. In addition to the five judges to be selected from among the attendees, the OSA Vice-president / co-convener will also function as a judge. His/her scores will be used only in the event of a tie; otherwise OSA Vice-president/ co-convener score will not count.
Announcement of Award: Names of participants selected for the award will be announced during cultural Program.
PROMODE PATNAIK INTER-CHAPTER DRAMA COMPETITION
This competition is held during the convention. The guidelines are:
1. The duration of the drama is limited to 18 minutes only (no exception); only 2 minutes will be provided for prop setup which makes the total time to be 20 minutes for each participation.
2. Minimum 2 participants per entry.
3. One drama per each chapter/state/region will be eligible to compete in this category.
4. It must come through the president of the concerned chapter or from an OSA life member.
5. The entry has to have a different name & title than pre-registered dramas. Please check and confirm with the convention cultural team before you choose the drama.
6. Each group should arrange their own props or instruments for competition.
7. Any specific audio or light requirements need to inform while registering and convention cultural team will decide and let know if possible to provide such.
8. Since the number of entries need to be limited due to time constraints, the convention cultural team may use additional screening requirements.
9. The deadline for entries for submission is decided by the convention team.
10. For any questions, please contact convention cultural team.
ODISHI, CHAMPU & CHHANDA (OCC) MUSIC COMPETETION:
1. The Participant should be less than 18 years.
2. Multiple Participants belonging to any particular OSA Chapter are allowed.
Submission, Rules & Regulations:
1. Each participant is required to fill out and submit the e cultural sign up form present in the convention website.
2. Each participant can chose any one type of song from Odissi, Champu and Chhanda.
3. The participants can either present their items with live accompaniment or karaoke.
4. Participants who may need rehearsal/practice with accompanists, should contact the convention cultural team prior to arriving at the convention to make appropriate arrangement for practice during convention. Logistics and schedule permitting, convention cultural team will arrange appropriate accompanists if they can. The venue/time will be intimated to the participants through email or phone.
5. Participant can sing the song in the competition by memorizing the song or direct reading the song.
6. Each participants can perform a maximum of 4 minutes.
7. All participants have to sit together at the competition dais.
8. A panel of minimum three judges with decent knowledge of Odissi/Champu/Chhanda music will judge the competition.
9. Judge’s decisions are final.
10. Any questions about the OCC competition can be emailed to convention cultural Awards.
11. Cash prizes will be awarded to the participants for each group.
12. Additionally certificates will be given to all the participants by the Convention cultural committee.